Before understanding the concept of a solenoid valve, we should first understand what a valve is.
A valve is a device which works by regulating or controlling the flow of a fluid. This fluid can be liquid, gas, slurry, etc. Valves are available in a wide variety of makes and designs, serving a variety of purposes.
Now, a solenoid valve is just the combination of a solenoid and a valve, which regulates the movement of gas or liquid by means of electric current. This electromechanical actuator stops, releases, distributes or combines fluids; and is being extensively used in a number of application areas.
Components of a Solenoid Valve
A Solenoid Valve has parts like a coil of wire (which is the Solenoid), a metal core, electrical connector, bonnet nut, body, etc. These components are necessary for the efficient functioning of the valve. In case a malfunction occurs in any of the parts, the operation of the valve will not be effective.
Hence, it should be checked regularly that all the parts are working in their best possible manner. If not, then replacement(s) might be required to ensure proper working of the valve.
Uses or Areas of Application
These engineered products are used in numerous areas. Some of the uses of a solenoid valve are as follows:
- Home Appliances: Be it a dishwasher or a washing machine, these appliances require solenoid valves to work efficiently.
- Gas Boilers: Another major use of these valves is in the gas boilers. In boilers, these valves work by controlling the flow of gas towards the burner.
- Automatic Irrigation Sprinkler Systems: Not just helping the homeowners of today, but these valves are quite popular in helping the agriculturists as well. The solenoid valves are used in the automatic irrigation sprinkler systems with an automatic controller or regulator.
- Dentistry: If you are wondering how these valves are helpful for the dentists, then don’t be amazed! The solenoid valves are used in the dentist chairs so as to regulate the air and water flow.
- Water Purifiers: One of the latest uses of Solenoid valves is in the water purifiers or RO water systems that are all the rage at present.
- Refrigeration Applications: Solenoid valves are also required in refrigeration applications to commence or restrict the flow in the refrigerant circuit, thereby automatically regulating the fluids in the system.
There are many uses of these excellent valves. However, what is important is that you choose a good supplier of such products, to ensure a long term and hassle free use for years to come. So, do a bit of research online and find a reliable manufacturer offering various types of valves.