One of the most important aspects of using a valve for any application is to determine its right size. Ascertaining the correct size is extremely important to have adequate control of flow rate. Sizing a valve is based on a number of factors. These are pipe size, type of material, flow design, pressure drop, and so on. On the basis of all these and other such factors, you can rightly size up a valve. After all, a correctly sized valve will enhance the flow accuracy and increase the rangeability as well!
Steps involved in determining the accurate size of a valve
- Ascertain the required design flow rate
- Determine the operating flow
- Choose the pipe size
- Identify the Maximum Pressure Drop across the valve
- Compute the Valve Characteristics (represented as Cv )
- Choose the type of valve and body size, based on the chart or table supplied by the manufacturer
- Check that the computed Cv does not increase the actual Cv of the chosen valve. In case it does, then you must go through the chart provided by the manufacturer once again, and select a suitable valve.
- Now, you should evaluate if the valve control range is right or not
- If the computed Cv and valve control range are now appropriate, then the valve is of the right size. However, if any of these are not suitable, then again pick up another valve from the manufacturer’s chart or table and repeat the sizing process.
It is important to understand that sizing a valve correctly is a critical process to ensure the proper functioning of the system. Even though it may seem to be a difficult technique, it is not that tough! All that is required is a little familiarity with the system and access to the right information provided by the manufacturer. It becomes all the more easier if you take the help of experts while sizing a valve.
Choosing a good and reliable supplier of valves is an essential point that you should keep in mind. This is because when you deal with the right manufacturer, you get utmost peace of mind & top quality products.
There are several companies that are operating online these days. So, you can have a look at the products being offered by them on the internet, and can pick a renowned and trustworthy supplier of valves. This way, you will be assured of excellent products, that too, without having to put a lot of effort & time!